Budgeted Salary: Initial placement will be between $28.04 – $30.95/Hour, commensurate with educational background and relevant working experience.
THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN TULARE, CA
CAHFS IS RECRUITING FOR ONE POSITION AT THE SRA 2, NEX OR SRA 1 LEVEL BASED ON EXPERIENCES. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, SUBMIT A SEPARATE APPLICATION FOR EACH POSITION. IF YOU ARE ALSO INTERESTED IN THE SRA 1 LEVEL – APPLY TO JOB OPENING # 64881 BY 2/22/2024.
Under minimal supervision, handle animals, perform necropsy; process fixed and fresh tissue obtained from animal necropsy, tissue trimming; and prepare samples for embedding with adherence to established protocols. Provide high level technical, data entry, & laboratory maintenance for necropsy facilities.
• Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Science or similar or Registered Veterinary Technician, or equivalent combination of education and applied experience in technical aspects of necropsy including euthanasia, tissue/specimen collection, identification of normal vs. abnormal anatomy, and sterile techniques.
• Experience handling and restraining live animals, especially livestock, for euthanasia purposes.
• Experience working with biohazardous tissue, blood, and dead animals; safety knowledge to prevent contamination self and others with biohazardous materials.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA):
• Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with a wide variety of clients, co-workers, and other individuals in person, in writing, and over the phone, and knowledge and skills to interview clients to obtain clinical histories of animals and to maintain confidentiality of information.
• Knowledge of avian & mammalian anatomy and skills to prepare and assist with necropsies
• Computer skills to rapidly & accurately perform data entry and retrieval of data, and to utilize software programs such as Word, Excel, and laboratory information management systems.
• Knowledge of trimming fixed tissues and skills to prepare tissue samples for various types of analyses.
• Experience working in a diagnostic laboratory necropsy facility with skills to safely operate a bandsaw with sufficient dexterity to remove a spinal cord; and/or laboratory animal care experience; and/or advanced experience in tissue trimming including experience identifying formalin-fixed tissues.
• Experience with quality control procedures in a diagnostic laboratory including maintaining accurate inventory and quality control records, complying with requirements, and reporting quality problems, as well as knowledge of quality control and quality assurance methods in a diagnostic laboratory that utilizes complex methodologies.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA):
• Knowledge of safe working practices and laboratory/University safety protocols to include handling and disposal of waste solvents and biologically hazardous materials.
• Analytical, problem solving, critical thinking, and decision-making skills to research, develop, and recommend solutions to complex problems and issues, as well as skills to instruct, technically train, and provide consultation to technical and professional personnel.
This position is a critical position and subject to a background check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of background investigation including criminal history and identity checks.
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at
Job ID# 64880
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer