Clinical Laboratory Animal Veterinarian- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR)
The Bionetics Corporation is seeking a Clinical Laboratory Animal Veterinarian to join our life science team in Jefferson, Arkansas. This position provides veterinary support for the FDA laboratory animal programs consistent with NCTR guidelines, IACUC and EHS programs. The primary responsibility shall be the provision of veterinary medical and surgical care to the NHP colony. Participation in the veterinary medical care program for other animal species is included as a smaller component of the duties of this position and will depend on the needs of the Division of Veterinary Services (DVS) and the availability after commitments to the NHP colony are met. Services will be in accordance with all applicable regulations. This position may also serve on the IACUC, or may serve as a resource to the IACUC on matters regarding the health and well-being of NHPs and other animal species.
This position may actively participate in research protocols as a co-investigator or, at a minimum, provides advice, consultation, and technical/medical/surgical services to the NCTR investigators who utilize NHPs in research protocols.
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) degree or equivalent required. Possession of a degree from a veterinary college accredited by the AVMA Council on Education or possession of a certificate of equivalency from ECFVG (AVMA) or PAVE (AAVSB) preferred.
License to practice veterinary medicine in Arkansas is preferred.
Certification by the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM) with a research degree (MS or PhD) preferred.
Minimum two (2) years’ experience providing veterinary medical and surgical care to nonhuman primates (NHPs). Experience must include participation in and administration of environmental enrichment and preventive medicine programs for nonhuman primates.
Experience and expertise with other laboratory animal species, especially rodents and zebrafish is desirable.
Must have knowledge of laboratory animal technician duties and training.
Must possess excellent knowledge of Federal, State, and local regulations governing Animal Care/Diet Preparation facilities.
Good knowledge of both spoken and written English.
Must be a legal resident of the United States.
1. Provide daily clinical care and treatment of laboratory animals to include participation in emergency call schedule and after-hours veterinary care ICU, night, weekend and holiday coverage with DVS veterinarians, as required.
2. Assist in the oversight of the NHP colony health, including health surveillance.
3. Participate in research protocols as a co-investigator or provide advice, consultation and technical/medical surgical services to the NCTR investigators who utilize NHPs in research protocols.
4. Provide oversight of veterinary technical and colony management personnel.
5. Perform training and instruction on techniques associated with research animal use for technicians and the NCTR research staff.
6. Work with the Behaviorist in the implementation of the environmental enrichment program.
7. Develop and maintain compatible socially housed NHPs within the research requirements.
8. Ensure NCTR policies and procedures are followed and keep the contract in compliance with Federal, State and Local regulations and guidelines.
Lifting/Moving Requirements – Minimum of 50 pounds
Work is performed mainly indoors in a laboratory environment and/or in an animal care, barrier facility, surgical or test procedure facility, diet/water prep facility, or animal housing/bedding cleaning and prep areas. Work may require use of personal protective equipment (PPE) in both areas. Work area may be prone to hot and humid conditions, and subject to objectionable odors, aerosols, dust, animal dander, and noise.
The Bionetics Corporation is a government services contractor providing exceptional customer service to federal, state, local and commercial markets. We offer competitive salary and benefits package. This position is dependent upon contract award.
Candidates should submit their resumes to:
Address: The Bionetics Corporation, 101 Production Drive, Ste. 100, Yorktown, VA 23693, Attn: Susan Hayes
Bionetics is a government contractor that provides services nationwide to government agencies and commercial entities. The Bionetics Corporation was established in 1969 to provide support for the Viking Project, NASA's first mission to Mars. In the 47 years since, we have become a diversified engineering and applied science corporation with a strong heritage of exceptional customer service to NAS...A and other federal agencies, commercial companies and international entities, providing a broad spectrum of science, engineering, biotechnology, aerospace and aeronautics services.